COSMELAN® DEPIGMENTATION PEEL
The Cosmelan Depigmentation Peel is a unique, multi-ingredient chemical treatment designed to reduce areas of skin discoloration and hyperpigmentation.
Melanin is responsible for the darkening of the skin and contributing to such factors as melasma and other skin discolorations. Melanin is increased by sun exposure, acne, aging, and hormone fluctuation. The Cosmelan Peel decreases the skin’s natural melanin production by inhibiting an enzyme (tyrosinase), providing an even complexion.
Cosmelan® treatment can improve the appearance of:
- Lentigo, Freckles or Nevus
- Pregnancy Mask / Melasma
- Chloasma from UV damage
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (from acne / scars)
- Good tolerance in all skin types and ages
- Proven efficiency (numerous “in vivo” and “in vitro” tests performed)
- No hydroquinone
- Multiple pigment removing ingredients combined in one system
- Accelerated cell turnover "pushes" present pigment cells to the surface where they are sloughed off
- Can be performed any season of the year - even in summer, followed by use of total sunblock to guarantee treatment effectiveness (complete moisturising sunblock or dermatological complete sunblock by Mesoestetic)
Unlike other hydroquinone and tretinoin treatments, which can be harsh on the skin and cause a number of unpleasant side effects, a Cosmelan peel contains Azelaic Acid, which kills bacteria on the surface of the skin and boosts new skin cell production; and Kojic Acid, which is an acid that is derived from several different types of naturally-existing fungi and which inhibits the production of melanin in the skin.
What is Melasma?
Melasma is a pigment disorder of the cells resulting in dark patches on the face, often with distinct edges. Melasma can occur in both men and women, and can often be seen on the cheekbones, forehead, nose and upper lip but can develop in other areas of the face.
There are a number of factors that can trigger Melasma including:
Hormones: External hormones such as birth control pills and Hormonal Replacement Therapy (HRT) or pregnancy can bring on Melasma. When Melasma occurs during pregnancy it is known as the “pregnancy mask”.
Thyroid disease: The incidence of Melasma also increases in patients with thyroid disease.
Sun Exposure: UV exposure is the leading cause of Melasma Hyperpigmentation and the patches tend appear darker in the summer months.
Melasma has long been one of the toughest skin conditions to treat because discoloration lies so deep within the skin's layers and is hard for medications to target. Cosmelan peel is the world’s number one whitening treatment and can effectively reduce skin discolouration by up to 90%.
1. BEFORE COSMELAN PEEL
The process starts with an initial consultation to check your suitability for the Cosmelan peel. After this your aesthetician will ask you to re-book for the actual peel treatment.
Important: If you have undergone any previous treatments, especially with glycolic acid or retinoids, these treatments must be completely stopped at least one week prior to using Cosmelan® Depigmentation treatment.
We recommend beginning your treatment near the end of the week so the major peeling is experienced over the weekend when you will not be in school or at work.
2. DURING TREATMENT
The skin is cleansed and degreased to help the peel product penetrate deeper into the skin. The peel mask is then applied and allowed to dry. You then leave the clinic with the mask on and leave it on for 8-12 hours.
3. AFTER TREATMENT
- Slight burning and tightening of the skin is normal, especially during the first few hours after starting the treatment
- You will experience a noticeable peeling and redness in the first 3 to 5 days
- If the skin is very sensitive, you may also experience itching sensation
- To relieve these problems it is advisable to apply a provided soothing and hydrating cream whenever necessary
Reddening of the Skin
The reddening that occurs on the face after applying the mesoestetic® Cosmelan 2 is expected and is normal.
Flaking and Peeling
Flaking and peeling will occur on all skin types (and more intensely in photo types I and II) between the 3nd and 5th day. In this case it is advisable to apply a provided hydrating cream and re-apply during the day when the flaking is most intense.
Fifth and Sixth day
After the 5th or 6th day your skin will be calmer and you should notice some initial fading of pigmentation. When peeling is complete you will notice much smoother skin.
WHAT NOT TO DO AFTER THE TREATMENT?
- Immediately after treatment avoid excessive sweating (like sauna or steam rooms) for 2 weeks post treatment (may cause an additional sensitivity)
- For the next 24-48 hours: avoid the use of abrasive or exfoliating sponges, exercise and heat from hairdryers etc.
- Do NOT peel, pick, scratch or scrape the skin or any loose skin resulting from the treatment. This must come off in its own time with no assistance, ignoring this advice can lead to scarring!
- Avoid chlorine for 2 weeks post peel
- Avoid tanning beds and sun exposure for at least a month after the treatment.
- Avoid waxing in treated areas for 2 weeks post treatment.
- No use of glycolics, retinols or scrubs for 30 days post procedure.
- Use suggested home care products to maximise the results
- Slight windburn (redness and irritation) sensation and swelling is normal for first 7 days
- Delay the use of makeup for 24-48 hours (if you must, we recommend mineral makeup)
You MUST protect your skin from sun exposure with a full spectrum sunblock to prevent pigmentation return.
You should start to see substantial improvement after just two weeks. Blemishes, pigmented patches will start to diminish and skin will start to look brighter.
o treatment guarantees a complete removal of undesirable pigmentation.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS DO I NEED?
A single in-clinic treatment followed by two check-up appointments to review progress and results. You should expect to use a Cosmelan 2 maintenance cream for 9-12 months after the initial peel treatment to ensure the Melasma doesn’t return.
Our initial package cost includes your initial treatment, two check-up appointments and 1 post-peel product pack. Maintenance cream will need to be purchased separately.
Follow up appointments should be scheduled 4 and 12 weeks post-peel to evaluate treatment effectiveness.
1st day: Upon returning home, cleanse the skin thoroughly with a neutral cleanser and water.
Apply the Mesoesthetic Hydra Vital Factor K cream/other recommended hydrator over the entire area treated.
2nd day: After cleansing, apply the Hydravital Factor K/other recommended hydrator and provided sunblock over the entire treated areas. Attend a follow up appointment at the clinic.
3rd day through 4 weeks post peel: After cleansing, begin applying the Cosmelan 2 and the Hydravital Factor K three times a day followed by a sunblock during daytime.
5th week through 1 month: After cleansing, apply the Cosmelan 2 and the Hydravital Factor K/ other recommended hydrator twice daily.
3rd month through 9 months: After cleansing, apply the Cosmelan 2 and the Hydravital K/a moisturiser once in the evening.
Sunblock is to be used every morning on top of the Hydravital Factor K or a different moisturiser. Apply as many times daily as needed.